What I like about this Teriyaki Vegetable Rice Bowl:
Have you ever been to Cactus Club Cafe and enjoyed their Teriyaki Chicken Rice bowl? Well this is my vegetarian version! Of course you could add stir-fried chicken, but I love it just as well without. It’s the sautéed cabbage and spicy yogurt sauce that makes this dish kick it. As a matter of fact, I often make extra cabbage and sauce just to eat as leftovers the next day!
Why is this dish so great for #hormonehealth? The broccoli and cabbage aid detoxification of excess estrogens by the liver, the yogurt sauce provides our gut with healthy probiotics, and the fiber and healthy fats in the brown rice keep everything moving along nicely!
Parts of this recipe were taken from a similar post by Fuel for Dancers, but I found that less sugar and vinegar was needed (and the process was so much quicker) if I sautéed the cabbage instead of boiling it. Plus the cabbage retains more of it’s crispiness and nutrition value. I hope you enjoy it!
Teriyaki Vegetable Rice Bowl with Sautéed Cabbage and Spicy Yogurt Sauce
Preparation Time: 45 minutes (mainly for the brown rice)
2-3 carrots chopped
2 sweet peppers (red, yellow or orange pepper) cut in bite sized chunks
1 zuchinni cut in 1/4″ slices (optional)
1 large head of broccoli, chopped
1/2 yellow or white onion chopped OR 4 green onions chopped
1/4 cup cashews (optional)
1 cup brown rice, cooked in salted water or broth to make approx. 2 cups of rice
1/2 cup Thick teriyaki sauce
1/2 head of red cabbage, sliced thinly (or use green cabbage or a mixture of both)
1/4 cup red onion sliced thin or chopped
3 Tbsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. brown sugar
3 Tbsp. water
Salt & pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. olive oil or grapeseed oil
Spicy Yogurt Sauce:
1/2 cup plain, full fat yogurt
1/8 cup ranch dressing
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp. (smoked) paprika
pinch of white sugar
Black pepper to taste
Shot of hot sauce to taste
- Cook the brown rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, prepare the spicy yogurt sauce by mixing all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Refrigerate.
- Chop the vegetables for the stirfry, being careful to keep onion/green onion and cashews in a separate bowl to be added to the pan in the last minute. Set aside.
- Slice cabbage and chop red onion for the sauteed cabbage.
- Mix the vinegar, brown sugar, water, and salt and pepper in a bowl and set aside.
- Approximately 15 minutes before the rice is complete, begin to sauté the cabbage and red onion in a small amount of oilive oil (or grapeseed oil). Stir often until tender. When halfway complete, add the liquid mixture and stir. Keep warm until other ingredients are ready.
- Stir-fry your vegetables in a small amount of grapeseed oil. Add the onion/green onion, cashews and teriyaki sauce in the last minute of cooking.
- Enjoy your rice bowl with the stir-fried veggies and teriyaki sauce served atop the brown rice. Then add the sautéed cabbage and a large dollop of spicy yogurt sauce!