This Santa Fe Quinoa Salad was our dinner last night, and it went over so well with my whole family that I thought I should share the recipe. My children rarely rave about how much they loved their dinner (sigh), so I know this one is a hit!
I am constantly relaying the virtues of quinoa to my clients – mainly because it is a whole grain that is quick and easy to prepare (15-minutes on the stovetop). Plus, leftovers are amazing for breakfast with honey, berries and nuts or seeds, or for lunch as a salad with lemon and olive oil and whatever veggies and beans you have handy. And it freezes well which can be a real time saver!
Santa Fe Quinoa Salad
Prep Time: 30 mins
Makes 6-8 Servings
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 pinch kosher salt or 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup roasted tomatoes (optional)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- 1 cup leftover chicken (optional)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion or green onions
1. In a small saucepan, cook quinoa with water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and let it sit for 5 minutes (with towel between lid and pot). Then remove lid, fluff and let cool in a large bowl.
2. In a bowl prepare dressing: Combine cumin, lime juice and oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Add black beans, peppers, avocado, cheese and chicken (if using) and cilantro and onions to the quinoa. Add dressing and blend. Season with salt and pepper if desired
Revised from: Little Chef (sourced at www.food.com)