Just in Time for Thanksgiving
I picked out my pumpkin today to make our family’s traditional pumpkin pie. I never enjoyed pumpkin pie until about 7 years ago when my preschooler brought a batch home that he had made at school. His teacher had brought all the ingredients to the school and his class had made the tarts together. He was so proud of his creation. And since then, we have being making them every year!
Now, I am sure that there is a recipe out there that does not include sweetened condensed milk but I wouldn’t even consider changing this tradition. They are a perfect example of comfort food and sometimes we simply want to nourish our souls! I feel pretty good about making them because the recipe calls for fresh mashed pumpkin, rather than canned (although you could easily substitute). Personally, I feel like I am actually harvesting the abundance of fall when we choose our pumpkin at the patch.
The best part – I also use any leftover mashed pumpkin for pumpkin muffins or pumpkin pancakes….basically I use pumpkin as much as I can this time of year!
Thank you to Ms. Patricia for introducing my son and me to the love of food and for always sharing so warmly.
Click the link below to share the recipe on Twitter:
My Golden Pumpkin Pie Recipe
One 9” Unbaked Pie Shell (or 30-36 Tart Shells*)
2 cups Mashed Pumpkin
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. each nutmeg, ginger, salt
Whipped cream and/or nuts are optional
- Wash and cut up pumpkin into large pieces.
- Cook the pumpkin with 1/2-1 cup water at medium temperature
- Once cooked, cool, peel and blend in food processor or blenderPreheat oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients, and pour into pie shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325F and continue to bake for another 30-40 minutes, or until knife comes out clean when inserted into center.
- Garnish with whipped cream and/or nuts.
*Adjust cooking time for tart shells
Do you have a health-related question? I offer free 20-minute discovery sessions to ask me any health-related – no strings attached (I promise!) Let me know how I can help by contacting me today!